Ashoka South Asia Leadership Roles
Ashoka has changed the framework of the social sector by introducing the idea that there is nothing more powerful than a bold, new idea in the hands of an exceptional entrepreneur. We build fellowships of people who catalyze an irreversible social change through an innovative idea and encourage others to do the same.
Ashoka is looking for exceptional intrapreneurs/entrepreneurs to join its South Asia Team in Bangalore and lead its Everyone a Changemaker movement.
Over the last 40 years, Ashoka not only coined the term social entrepreneur- but also pioneered the field of social entrepreneurship globally. We searched and helped over 3,800 women and men launch their system-changing ideas to solve problems. We also helped the world see why social entrepreneurship was a more powerful way to drive change. Investors invested in them, journalists wrote about them, universities taught courses and incubators and accelerators supported them. In some countries governments even created policies to support social entrepreneurs.
However, we recognize this is not enough. The rate of change is accelerating and our problems are growing faster than our solutions. In such an environment it is not enough for a few to lead and others to follow. Everyone must be a changemaker. Changemaking skills, i.e. empathy, teamwork, creative problem-solving and leadership become essential to equip each of us to respond to changes around us.
How? Our Theory of Change
Ashoka is committed to act as a catalyst focused on creating urgency and demand for changemaking skills in society. Much like what we did with the field of social entrepreneurship, we are seeking to drive this mindset shift in society by helping people see differently. We intend to work with co-creators (Ashoka Fellows and other leaders) to influence key actors including, parents, schools, governments, media, companies to see why changemaking skills are key for their children and young people to succeed and contribute effectively in society. It will open opportunities to change how we parent, what we teach our children and youth, what stories we write, how we hire and organize or report success.
Leadership Roles in South Asia
With over 600 Ashoka Fellows the region, we are looking at ways in which we can both continue to find and support more exceptional Fellows and also collaboratively, co-create the change needed with them. To drive this, we are looking for a Venture and Fellowship Leader.
Our experience of identifying and working with social entrepreneurs and changemakers in the last 40 years has taught us that changemaking starts early. To enable this, we are looking for 2 exceptional leaders to drive Ashoka’s Empathy and Youth Years Initiatives.
Finally, to keep driving towards our "Everyone a Changemaker" vision with support from all the initiatives and external partners and co-creators, we are looking for a South Asia Leader and a Framework Change Leader.
- Lead the South Asia team to advance the “Everyone a Changemaker” vision in the region.
- Co-build and co-lead an integrated and fluid “team of teams” by weaving together Ashoka Fellows, business entrepreneurs, media partners, thought leaders, and other partners.
- Represent Ashoka regionally and as a speaker in events/media.
- Mobilize networks and strategic partners, raise resources, and pioneer new revenue models in order to expand Ashoka’s work regionally.
- Be responsible for the regional office to be financially sound, meet the financial requirements on an ongoing basis, build long term sustainability and explore new revenue opportunities.
- Serve as a internal coach/champion and inspire the team to achieve its full potential.
- Leverage the global Ashoka presence in over 37 countries and collaborate with regional and program leaders to build/enhance a successful South Asia program.
- Collaborate with the Ashoka’s CEO and global program leaders on co-creating new strategies for Ashoka’s growth globally.
Framework Change - South Asia
- Select partner organizations to leverage the power of Ashoka’s vision and network into “new game” business models, structures and messages.
- Carefully select partners from media, education systems, corporations, social sector, and government and help them see their role and engage in this new framework.
- Co-create a storytelling movement that encourages the sharing of changemaking stories.
- Participate in strategic decision making that affects Ashoka’s growth regionally and globally and leverage Ashoka’s vast network in 90 countries.
Empathy Leader, South Asia
- Unleash demand for empathy as a 21st century skill.
- Work with Ashoka’s CEO and other senior stakeholders to build the regional initiative as an integrated, fluid team of teams by weaving together Ashoka Fellows and carefully selected movement partners - teacher’s organizations and ed schools, publishers/media, government agencies, youth and parent organizations.
- Raise resources, pioneer new revenue models, and garner strategic support to make “Every child must master Empathy” the new normal.
Youth Years Leader, South Asia
- Lead our movement to transform how young people grow up so they have the power to lead, to contribute — to be in charge.
- Engage Fellows, media partners, thought leaders in helping society see and adopt changemaking skills (empathy, teamwork, problem-solving and leadership) as key skills for young people to practice and master.
- Raise resources, pioneer new revenue models, and garner strategic support to make changemaking skills a reality for all young people in South Asia.
Venture & Fellowship, South Asia
- Lead the team doing the search, selection, and engagement of Ashoka Fellows in South Asia.
- Mobilize networks, build partnerships and collaborations in order to drive growth in identification, selection and engagement of Ashoka Fellows.
- Conceptualize and implement strategies and systems to leverage learning and insights from Ashoka Fellows, partners and allies to advance the field of social entrepreneurship.
- Identify opportunities to enable Ashoka Fellows and changemakers to work together and change ecosystems in different issue areas.
- Collaborate with other program leaders in South Asia and globally to build/enhance a successful Venture & Fellowship Program in South Asia.
Who are we looking for?
- Are you an entrepreneur who has a proven commitment to innovation and big change?
- Do you have a track record of seeing a new possibility and making it a reality?
- Do you have strong conceptual thinking skills?
- Do you consistently demonstrate strong social emotional intelligence and have the ability to lead, inspire, and integrate very entrepreneurial teams with respect and collegiality?
- We are looking for senior leaders with a minimum of 15 years of work experience.
If these questions resonate with your experience, we would be interested in starting a conversation with you. Please reach out to [email protected]. Only those offered an interview will be contacted. All position are full-time and Bangalore based.