Live Social Intrapreneurship Google+ Hangout — Thursday December 13, 10-11am ET
Editor's Note: This article was written by Marzena Zukowska, Media Manager at Ashoka Changemakers.
How can the world address some of the greatest social challenges in a way that is both sustainable and scalable?
Eli Malinsky, executive director of the new Center for Social Innovation in New York City, shared a trend for the future of social innovation: “We need to move the corporate needle closer and closer towards social change. Looking through this lens of social entrepreneurship, large corporations and multinationals can scale social impact to unprecedented levels through pragmatic, incremental changes.”
With that said, harnessing social impact does not have to be pushed to the fringes of a remote CSR strategy, but can actually offer smart returns. More and more, investing in “bottom of the pyramid” markets or developing environmentally responsible products is being woven directly into the business strategy of some of the world’s largest corporate firms.
But who are these corporate weavers, shifting the business needle towards delivering unmatched social change? They are a lost tribe of social innovators building better business from the inside out and breaking down silos between sectors in their wake: social intrapreneurs. To find them and harness their potential, Ashoka Changemakers and Accenture, as the convening sponsor, have joined forces to run the inaugural League of Social Intrapreneurs online competition.
With the competition deadline slowly nearing, we invite you to tune into a Google+ Hangout with the competition's early entry prize winners on Thursday, December 13, from 10-11 a.m. EST.
UPDATE: This event offers the opportunity to dig deeper into the “how” of social intrapreneurship through the direct work and experiences of two groups of entrants and other participants:
- Amy Chen, Director of Sales at PepsiCo
- Matt Smith, part of Food for Good Team at PepsiCo
- Michelle Wobker and Dwight Walker, team of scientists at GlaxoSmithKline
- Gib Bulloch, Executive Director of Accenture Development Partnerships
- Akhil Almeida, Head of Corporate Brand Council, Mahindra Group
- Vallabh Rao, blogger for Social Earth, Social Edge and NextBillion
- Fernanda Tambelini, editor for NextBillion Brazil
- Vibhu Arya, writer for Think Change India
- Will Sloan, writer for YourStory.in
Watching the Hangout and participating in the conversation is easy:
- Watch the Google Hangout live by tuning into our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/ChangemakersNet.
- Log-in to your Twitter account a little before 10 a.m. EST.
- Use the #SocInt hashtag to make your Hangout comments visible in the stream.
- Introduce yourself and take a minute to get to know the other chatters when you join.
- Send your questions for participants to @changemakers and/or @SocIntLeague. The top questions will be publically featured in the last 10 minutes of the Hangout.
Be sure to invite your friends and followers to join the discussion, too. The best way is to post a tweet or Facebook post like this one:
Can you be a social innovator at a corporation? Live chat with @changemakers, @SocIntLeague & early winners on 12/13 from 10-11am ET #SocInt
Also mark your calendars for a Twitter-based chat next week on “The Future of Social Entrepreneurship,” where leaders at citizen sector organizations will convene to discuss this and other trends in social innovation. Join via the hashtag #SocEntChat on Twitter on December 19, from 3-4:30pm ET.
If you are unable to attend these live events, detailed recaps of the will be made available. Please contact Marzena Zukowska (email@example.com) for more information about the Google+ Hangout.
See you on Thursday, corporate changemakers!