The Purina BetterwithPets 2020 Prize finalists announced!
Finalists were part of an EMENA-wide search for innovative initiatives that harness the mutual positive power of the pet–human bond.
Purina and Ashoka are excited to announce eight finalists of the Purina BetterwithPets Prize—all social entrepreneurs leveraging the power of the pet human bond to transform society. The second edition of the Prize drew more than 150 applicants from across Europe, the Middle East and North Africa.
Entrants were welcomed across two entry streams, early-stage ideas for innovations and fully piloted/implemented innovations.
The prizes, an investment of up to CHF 100,000 for piloted/implemented innovations and up to CHF 20,000 for idea-stage innovations, support and accelerate the most innovative initiatives and ideas that harness the positive mutual power of the pet-human bond for the benefit of our communities.
The idea-stage finalists are:
- Homely Home (Russia): Reimaging both human and pet rehabilitation programs to create meaningful, lifelong bonds and increased wellbeing between people and pets
- Pet Me (Saudi Arabia): A mobile application creating a new culture of pet adoption that fosters trust, care, and endless love between people and pets
- SoliVet (France): A cooperative network that supports shelters and housing facilities to allow the social reintegration of precarious animal owners with their companion
The implemented/piloted innovation finalists are:
- Courthouse Dogs Research (Spain): An academic initiative that explores the inclusion of dogs in the judicial system to humanize the courts, offer a coping mechanism for minors, and facilitate the work of court professionals
- Evi’dence (France): A program that makes animal mediation essential in the prison experience, during and after release, helping offenders grow and supporting them with reintegration into our society
- Gamelles Pleines (France): Helping homeless pet owners to feed, care and keep their pet — harnessing the benefits of pet ownership for a successful social reintegration
- Reading Dogs (United Arab Emirates): An educational project that welcomes specially trained dogs into schools, nurseries and educational facilities to help children learn to read and practice language skills in a non-judgemental atmosphere.
- StreetVet Accredited Hostel Scheme (United Kingdom): Free, accessible veterinary care for pets whose owners are experiencing homelessness and support for hostel managers and staff to adopt and implement positive pet policies
The finalists will showcase their initiatives to a jury of five judges during an online pitch competition on 3rd June 2020 at 13h00 to 15.30 CET.
After pitches and Q&A, Bernard Meunier, CEO, Nestlé Purina PetCare EMENA will announce the Prize winner(s) and their award(s) with an investment of up to CHF 100,000 for the piloted/implemented innovations and up to CHF 18,000 for the idea-stage innovations. Purina employees will have the opportunity to choose their favourite idea-stage innovation for an additional prize of CHF 2,000.
To find out more about the initiatives, the Purina BetterwithPets Prize please email [email protected].