What is Ashoka?
In 2015, Ashoka was ranked # 6 on NGO Advisor’s Top 500 NGO List. Ashoka envisions a world where Everyone can be a Changemaker™: a world that responds quickly and effectively to social challenges, and where each individual has the freedom, confidence and societal support to address any social problem and drive change.
To date, we have elected over 3000 social entrepreneurs as Ashoka Fellows, in 72 countries in five continents. Across Canada, we have elected 55 Fellows since 2002. We have some of the most passionate and dedicated talent in the field of social change. By working with our network, we have identified the key principles of transformation. We are working with business entrepreneurs, corporations, government agencies and universities to create a new reality.
Who are we looking for?
“We select our interns with great care and with respect for their track records of action and their commitment to social change. Our interns are a true extension of our team. We involve them in decision-making, high level meetings, participating in and speaking at events, and preparing crucial materials for our work. We value our interns to the utmost and are constantly blown away by their brilliance, creativity and impact.” - Barbara Steele, Executive Director for Ashoka Canada
The ASHOKA Experience: Intern Testimonials
- Currently: I am the Executive Director of a social enterprise called Building Up. We install energy efficient retrofits in affordable housing buildings while training and employing people with barriers to employment to carry out that work. This enterprise is based on the work of a Fellow named Shaun Loney who remains a close friend and advisor to me.
- Internship: 2014 for 3 months, 3 days a week.
- Experience: My time at Ashoka opened up my eyes to the people and organizations that are working to keep us all smiling. I met people that inspired me to create my own venture. I met people that have supported my project and gotten it to where it is today. I have tapped into a network that uncovers infinite possibilities and I have put myself on an incredibly challenging and fulfilling path.
- Advice for future interns: Be creative. Be assertive. Make friends. The opportunities are there!
- Currently: Pursuing Master’s degree at Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management
- Internship: October 2014-February 2015
- Experience: Interning with Ashoka has helped me build my network and improve upon my professional skills. As an intern you are constantly in communication with people from the Ashoka network over e-mail and in person. Therefore, you grow as a professional and learn how to communicate efficiently and effectively. Additionally, I learned how to work in teams and align my personal goals with the big picture goals of the team. These are all transferable skills that have helped me develop both personally and professionally.
- Advice to future interns: Immerse yourself in the Ashoka culture. There is so much to learn from the staff, fellows and advisors. Take on projects that are both interesting and challenging for you and put your all into them. If you have questions, do not hesitate to ask! There is so much opportunity for learning and growth at Ashoka that it is imperative that you take advantage of all the resources that you have access too.
Ashoka Canada Internship Overview
The Ashoka Canada Fall 2016 Internship program will begin September, 2016 and end December 19th, 2016. Interns will either be working directly in the Ashoka Canada office in Toronto or in Montreal (as noted in the job descriptions) and are requested to contribute a minimum of 3 days per week. These are unpaid positions, but there is opportunity for networking, mentorship, training & development, and access to the Ashoka network. Ashoka Canada will also cover your public transportation pass.
CHALLENGES AVAILABLE FOR WINTER 2017
Current internship challenges are listed below as links to detailed job descriptions. Follow the instructions on the posting to apply.
Currently, there are no internship opportunities posted. We will post internship opportunities for Winter 2017 later this fall.
- Applications Open: Fall 2016
- Applications Deadline: Late Fall 2016