Donor Communications Intern
Are you interested in learning how nonprofit development works? Does building a better world matter to you? Do you feel a burning desire to unleash your communication skills for social good?
Ashoka is looking for an imaginative, collaborative Donor Communications Intern for a 6-month high impact assignment (from March 6, 2017 - August 18, 2017). If you are an exceptional writer (from any discipline) who has written for the public, collaborated with designers and teams, understands the power of social entrepreneurship and are looking for the chance to make a difference, come join us. You will be part of an innovation-driven, achievement-oriented team that values each team member’s unique strengths and interests and exhibits uncompromising humility, inclusion and courage.
Support the person-centered individual giving strategy for Ashoka as we develop donor solutions that will result in increased revenue for Ashoka. Leverage your marketing and communications knowledge and experience to advance an Everyone a Changemaker world. Specifically, develop donor communications for major gift correspondence, including planned giving, capital and direct mail campaigns, community fundraising and cause-related marketing.
Working in concert with the Global Partnerships team, and reporting directly to Ashoka’s Director of Individual Giving, the Donor Communications Intern will:
- Write print and web communications to appeal to both Ashoka’s long-time partners/donors and the next generation of donors
- Customize copy for website, blog and social media posts and email blasts
- Develop campaign names and taglines, positioning and key messages
- Work with a team of designers, strategists and content creators, ensuring consistent messaging as we modernize the donor experience, its media channels and print and online properties
- Explore ways Ashoka can weave together business entrepreneurs, Fellows, thought leaders and donors to co-create revenue growth strategies and accelerate social impact
- Provide additional team support, as needed
The Donor Communications Intern should have a track record of conceptualizing new ideas in an inclusive manner that have resulted in a change in his/her environment. He/she should believe deeply in the power of social entrepreneurship and understand Ashoka’s Everyone A Changemaker™ vision. Successful candidates will possess most of the following skills and experience:
- Working towards a Bachelor's degree, preferably in Sociology, Psychology, English, Marketing or Communications
- Proven ability to lead in the public sphere through influence, ideas and exceptional communication skills
- Experience collaborating with designers and developers
- Experience working with and/or managing communities, associations and/or peers, able to tap into the power of a network and see trends
- Profound empathy and cultural sensitivity
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills
- Inspiring team leader who genuinely enjoys working collaboratively with others in teams
- Flexible and self-directed, possessing a strong entrepreneurial spirit
- Adobe InDesign skill a plus
- Understanding of fundraising strategies and tools a plus
This position is open at Global Headquarters in Arlington, VA and requires a minimum of 15 hours/week, although 30 hours/week is preferred. Our goal is to ensure every intern has an excellent professional development experience. We regret that we can only offer unpaid internships at this time. If you are inspired by the vision of Ashoka and its rich network, please send your resume, writing sample and brief cover note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close at 5pm on February 10, 2017.
Due to the high volume of applications expected, we may not be able to respond to every application. Thank you for your interest!