Director of Communications & Design with Ashoka Changemakers in Arlington, VA
The Director of Communications & Design will report directly to the Executive Partner and will oversee the creation and management of communications and design across a wide range of philanthropic and corporate partnerships. This includes responsibility for our brand, our media channels and our web properties, including our pioneering Changemakers.com platform. The Director will be responsible for leading a team of designers, media strategists and content creators, while building high-impact partnerships that extend our capabilities. The Director will be in a position to amplify the voices of leading innovators around the world.
- Ensure effective communications strategies for Changemakers partnerships
Changemakers and its corporate and philanthropic partners co-design innovation mappings, open collaborative prize challenges and online courses to find and activate networks of innovators working towards solving big social challenges. Communications strategy and thoughtful storytelling are essential to these initiatives and the role requires an entrepreneurial leader who can build a cohesive and unified communications strategy around them.
- Oversee the design, development and management of our Changemakers.com platform
Changemakers.com is the digital platform that enables us to message our vision to our audiences of changemakers, to onboard thousands of changemakers into our initiatives - particularly through the mechanism of prize challenges, and develop and empower networks of these changemakers. The design, content and technology strategy for this will be in the hands of the Director.
- Oversee the marketing of Changemakers to its partners and peers
This is includes the development of the Changemakers brand and story, and, in coordination with the Partnerships Team, the representation - in assets and interactions - of the brand and our work to the general public, and to funders and potential funders.
- Build media partnerships that help us tell stories more powerfully
The role requires the candidate to imagine, build, and maintain partnerships with key individuals, media companies, and publications that will help leverage storytelling for social impact. The person should also identify opportunities for growth and investment in partnerships and innovative storytelling products that help to connect Ashoka’s innovator communities and accelerate their impact.
- Inspire and lead the team
The role involves leading and managing a team of entrepreneurial designers, media strategists and content creators, ensuring professional development for the team as well as consistency in strategy and messaging across partnerships. Leading high-level media trainings for staff inside and outside of Changemakers will also be central to the role.
Successful candidates will possess most of the following skills and experience:
- Entrepreneurial or strongly intrapreneurial
- Exceptional communications strategist with strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Strong understanding of marketing strategies and tools
- Experienced manager with strong problem solving and organizational skills
- Understands and enjoys relationship-building
- Inspiring team leader who genuinely enjoys working collaboratively with others in teams
- Visionary who can think medium to long-term to create and implement strategy
- At least 8-10 years of experience working with communications, storytelling and web, in some combination of the same.
- Created or co-created organisations, teams, or initiatives that have communications, storytelling and technology at their core
- Has led and managed a cross-disciplinary (maybe even) remote team
- Has knowledge of techniques for disseminating information through various channels of communication including print, web, email, and new social media channels
- Has demonstrated commitment to social change and understands trends in social innovation
To apply for this position, click the button below to apply by email, including your resume, cover letter, and an indication of which position is of interest. Candidates will be evaluated by Sachin Malhan, Executive Partner for Ashoka Changemakers.