UBS launched International search for trailblazing social innovators
The UBS Social Innovators Program was launched with support from Ashoka in July 2016. It aims at selecting and supporting social entrepreneurs, who deliver innovative solutions to society's most pressing challenges at the national and international level. This tailored package of support will include access to UBS’s unique network and know-how, global exposure and expert coaching.
The UBS Social Innovators have been selected against 6 criteria:
- Innovative: You have a product, service or technology providing an innovative solution to a social or environmental issue.
- Sustainable: You have a business model with the potential to be financially sustainable, ready for growth.
- Impactful: You create long term, positive social impact and are committed to evaluating that impact.
- Compelling: You and your team are able to deliver a compelling vision while actively engaging with relevant stakeholders.
- Scalable: You have proven your concept works and you are driven to expand it to create a bigger positive impact.
- Compatible: You are a good match with UBS's values and the aims of the UBS Social Innovators program.
Eligible social enterprises work in any field and tackling a social or environmental issue at any scale from local to international. They have developed their solutions beyond proof of concept and already be up and running and potentially looking to grow through social investment. Up to 12 shortlisted social enterprises in each participating region were invited to a two-day Regional Bootcamp, during which they pitch for a spot in their Regional Final. One social enterprise from each region will earn the title of UBS Social Innovator. They will enter a tailored year-long Accelerator program focused on scaling up their impact and receive a USD 40,000 grant.
Regions from which social entrepreneurs applied:
Regional bootcamps and regional summits will take place as follow:
- APAC region: Regional Bootcamp and Summit combined on 22 and 23 October 2016 in Singapore
- EMEA region: Regional Bootcamp on 18 and 19 October 2016 and Regional Summit on 4 November 2016, both in London
- Switzerland: Regional Bootcamp on 20 and 21 October 2016 at Ermatingen (Schloss Wolfsberg), and Regional Summit on 3 November 2016 in Zurich