Simon is the Director of Venture and Fellowship for Ashoka in the United States. In this role he helps identify and support Ashoka's annual class of systems-changing Fellows in the U.S. Prior to joining the U.S. team in 2014, Simon led Ashoka's programs in East Africa for four years and, before that, coordinated a global collaboration of over 100 leading social entrepreneurs focused on rural innovation and farming in Africa and South Asia. Simon lives and works in Viroqua, Wisconsin where he helps lead the Driftless Folk School, collaborates with the Youth Initiative High School (an Ashoka Changemaker School), grows food, rides his bike, and reads books about dinosaurs to his kids.
Speaking topics include:
- Trends and patterns in social entrepreneurship in the U.S.
- Systems change and the future of impact
- Rural America (I live outside a town of 4,000)
- De-biasing selection processes
- Diversity and inclusivity in social innovation sector
- Loneliness of leadership and the social entrepreneurs journey